PDA

View Full Version : IRL-Champ Car Merger Imminent

RGeeProductions
02-25-2008, 03:53 PM
HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- The Indy Racing League's absorption of the Champ Car World Series appears to be a press conference announcement away. That announcement, which will likely be made by IRL founder and Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George and IRL vice president of public relations John Griffin, may be as early as before that series Spring Training here at Homestead-Miami Speedway past publication Wednesday-Friday.

George and Griffin are to likely say that Champ Car partners Kevin Kalkhovan and Jerry Forsythe, have signed over control to the IRL. Several published reports have stated that Kalkhoven, and Forsythe signed the agreement in principle by Friday afternoon.

IRL officials are to unveil a schedule that is to include at least Champ Car races at Long Beach, Calif., April 20; Edmonton, Alberta, June 18-20 and Surfers Paradise, Australia, Oct. 24-26. George will offer transferring CCWS teams each a free Honda engine lease and a free Dallara chassis. The former Champ Car teams may be eligible for the Team Enhancement and Allocation Membership, which offers at least $1.2 million per team for competing the entire season.

The Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix and the Twin Ring Motegi, Japan events - both held April 20 - will count towards this year's IRL IndyCar Series championship. Each race will be scored separately since the LBGP's date is a contractual stipulation and Motegi promoters were unable to move their race.

The other scheduled nine CCWS races, including those at Cleveland and St. Jovite, may either return to an expanded IRL 2009 schedule or be abandoned. Several events, like the April 25-27 Champ Car/American LeMans Series doubleheader on the streets of Houston, will continue with its co-billed half.

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca President/CEO Gil Campbell said his track is among those directly affected.Both Champ Car's March 10-14 Spring Training and its Sunday half of the May 15-17 Grand-Am Rolex Festival of Speed has been cancelled. Campbell said that he is addressing those who bought tickets based on the Monterey, Calif.'s course hosting the May 17 Champ Car race.

"We had an announcment conference set for Friday but it's been postponed," said IRL communication vice president Fred Nation Friday afternoon. "Tony George and Kevin Kalkhoven talked well into Thursday night. There are a lot of details to be worked out."

The agreement ends the 12-year split in American Open Wheel Racing. The IRL and CART/Champ Car vied for the same fan base, drivers pool and team resources with frequently conflicting dates and different engine and chassis packages. CART, before emerging from 2004 bankruptcy court as CCWS, held a rival U.S. 500 1996-99 at Michigan International Speedway and Gateway Int'l. Raceway at Madison, Ill. simultaneously against the Indianapolis 500.

Negotiations between IRL and CCWS officials became intense the last two weeks. George had originally offered free engines and chassis to Champ Car teams in November but withdrew the officer for what he said was a lack of response in January. Kalkhoven, who owns PKV Racing with 1996 CART champ Jimmy Vasser, said he had never received George's holiday time offer.

Champ Car teams have not scheduled test days in lieu of March 10-14 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca pending delivery of their Dallara-Hondas. Some have been at Sebring Feb. 2-4 with their intended Panoz-Cosworths.

George and the IRL are to answer a range of questions at the press conference, including:
-- How does the Australia race fit with IRL's schedule? The IRL and Chicagoland Speedway have Sept 9 as the Indy Car Series' 2008 season finale. The Gold Coast Indy 300 may appear as part of a 2008-09 schedule, like the IRL's 1996-97 calendar, or as part of an off-season international tour.
-- What becomes of CCWS' Madza Atlantic Challenge? The former Formula Atlantic Series has a 40-year history and Champ Car had 26 Atlantic teams test at Sebring Feb. 2-4. The IRL has its Infinit Pro Series, which replaced
CART's similar Indy Lights/American Racing Series. The Atlantics may be spun off to another sanctioning body.
-- Where will the CCWS office and technical staff go? One published report that all but a skeleton crew are in Champ Car's Indianapolis headquarters. Non-essential staff have been given a month's severance pay plus an additional payment for every year employed.

An announcement conference date may be posted at indyracing.com.

Walter Elliot

broz
02-25-2008, 09:41 PM
This is NOT a "merger"....
Tony's just playing nice :disgusted This is an "acquisition"!

The IRL love it or hate it still had job security (if ya know what I mean). Champ or Cart, i.e. whatever they were calling it was in the process of filing bankruptcy.
I know certain individuals who were told three weeks ago not to bother reporting to work for the 2008 season.

It's a disgrace what happened to big time "open wheel" racing in this country. Anyone who is a fan knows it's never been the same since they split. I hope Tony will play "nice" with these guys and good Lord, please get some of the Great American road courses back on the schedule!

I for one will support this! :cheers: Will be nice to see a full grid again :applause:

My friend tells me this IS a done deal, they are "milking" the official announcement for the sake of keeping it in the media. Think they call it "creating a buzz"? If you haven't been to an IRL event, you should try. I've always enjoyed the show they put on at Texas and really like watching them turn left and right since they put some road couses back on the schedule.

The Bullfather
02-25-2008, 09:50 PM
All in Tony's hand to make it work or not! Let's see what he does, he's done a good job with what he had but a lot of money was still behind Cart. Should be interesting the next two years and see how it grows or falls apart. As a fan of racing, I hope it grows and works for the drivers, crew and families!

randomrodder
02-26-2008, 12:14 PM
They were foolish to split in the first place. It's amazing either series survived all these years. I'm also glad to see them unite again. :applause:

Howie
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm hoping they will schedule a race at the nice little "bullring" (as they called it when they ran there) called New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

Groundpounder
02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
There was never any doubt that if either of them survived this, it was going to be the IRL. They had something CART/Champ Car could never compete with - Indianapolis. It was just a matter of how long they would drag it on and how beat up they would be when it was over. Forsythe & Kalkoven should have left well enough alone 4 years ago when CART went bankrupt. Now they're 4 years behind where they otherwise would have been. I still think they have a good opporunity. Nascar's popularity has peaked. Now it's up to the new unifiied Indy Car world to win back their share of the fans.

The Bullfather
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
not just Indy but ovals in general made for some exciting racing and photo line finshes!Racing over all was much more competitive to the viewers at home. Cart drew but only at city events, but who paid?

Axel
02-26-2008, 01:50 PM
I think to draw in more fans they should really focus on the open wheel history of racing. I mean open wheel racing was the bomb up till the 80's IMO.

ModTourMan
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Good point Alex...by the way, how are ya!

Groundpounder
02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Just focusing on history won't do much for today. To use history effectively, you need to have a tie-in with the present day. Like maybe the Andretti family, or AJ Foyt. Is there an Unser racing these days?

uticamike
02-26-2008, 11:10 PM
I think it was a couple of years ago by accident I caught a IRL race from
Kansas on the tube. A fierce 3 way battle for the win (forgotten now who)
and some good old fashion SIDE BY SIDE racing (yes real racing) was had.
I found my self watching this and not the NASCAR race as I intended. You know, I might have to look in on this series this year and see if it lights me up.
Open wheel side by side action is racing nirvana for me. Could this be the year I skip the Daytona 500 and watch Indy? Who'da thunk it?

LongIslandJam
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Al Unser III is competing in the Indy Pro Series

http://www.indycar.com/pro/drivers/driver.php?driver_id=251

Groundpounder
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Official announcement at 12:25pm today on http://www.indycar.com/